Heritage Centre Timeline
This is the Heritage Centre's Timeline over its 25 years existence. Click on the links to expand the timeline and find out more.
8 January 1993
- Hexham Courant Article
The Hexham Courant carries an article "Bellingham in Days Gone By" to publicise a display of local photographs staged by Dorothy Bell. The interest created was the genesis of the Heritage Centre.
25 November 1993
- Public Meeting
A public meeting forms a Heritage Group and elects a committee of nine, including Dorothy Bell, to set up a Heritage Centre for the North Tyne and Redesdale Valleys.
10 June 1994
- Heritage Centre Founded
The original Heritage Centre at Shellcroft, next door to The Cheviot, was housed in the showroom of the former garage of the Thompson family. It was formally opened on 10th June 1994 by Edie Lyons, who had worked for Bellingham photographer W. P. Collier in the 1920s. The Heritage Centre put on a memorable show. Exhibitions included the Border Counties Railway, the Dairy, Kielder Past and Present and Teatime in the 1920s. Temporary exhibitions included the Leek Clubs of the North Tyne and the past glories of the Bellingham and District Amateur Dramatic Society. During its first season, the Centre played host to over 900 visitors. There was plenty to see but this was just the beginning.
6 October 1994
- Registered Charity established
The Heritage Centre becomes a Registered Charity (1041300) to preserve and display the heritage of the North Tyne and Redesdale Valleys
15 April 1995
- First extension
The opening of Heritage Centre which was now extended to occupy the whole of the former garage. The following year saw the Heritage Centre expand into the workshop of the former garage to the rear. Volunteers spent thousands of hours over the winter months to bring the new galleries up to the required standard. All their hard work paid off. There was so much more to see by the time that the Heritage centre opened for its second season on 15th April 1995. The North British Railway remained an old favourite. There was now plenty of room for a reconstruction of the shop of photographer W. P. Collier. The temporary displays included Farming, Embroidery and the 50th anniversary of VE Day. These temporary displays enthralled visitors, young and old, and have continued to breathe new life into the Heritage Centre ever since.
15 November 1996
- First Heritage Centre Book Published
First book published by the Heritage Centre: Northumbrian Heritage 1912-1937, the photographs of W. P. Collier
1 May 1998
- Official Opening
Peter Atkinson MP performs official opening of the Heritage Centre
30 November 1999
- Preparation for Move
The Heritage Centre closed for the season and was packed into boxes for its move to new premises in the old Bellingham Station Yard
22 December 2000
- New Lease Signed
Keys obtained and lease signed for new Heritage Centre premises in the Station Yard.
9 January 2001
Contents of Heritage Centre moved from Shellcroft to the Station Yard
25 May 2001
- Opening of current premises
Opening of Heritage Centre in the new premises in the old Station Yard
21/22 July 2001
- First Rally
First "Gathering of Vintage Motorcycles, Engines, Tractors, Model Engines and Stationary Engines" organised by Wesley Turnbull in the Station Yard.
18 April 2003
- Official Opening
Lord Redesdale performs official opening of the Heritage Centre
20 November 2003
- Registered Museum Status
The Heritage Centre gains Registered Museum status and officially becomes the Museum for the North Tyne and Redesdale
3 April 2004
- John Grundy Opening
John Grundy, author and presenter, performs official opening of the Heritage Centre
10 October 2008
- Extension of new premises
The Heritage Centre was extended to include displays of farming and an area for seasonal exhibitions. Plans were soon being formed for further expansion to include a permanent display area dedicated to farming. Once funding was received, all the displays were carefully packed away once again and put into storage. On 10th October 2008, author and presenter John Grundy formally opened the enlarged Heritage Centre. It was now home to a grey Fergie tractor, a section of traditional dry stone walling and displays of former farming techniques, including the killing of the pig. Space was found for the reconstruction of the Stannersburn smithy, worked by Arthur Grimwood for over 50 years, and the creation of a dedicated area for seasonal exhibitions. The building housed the Tourist Information Centre, now hosted by the Heritage Centre. Bellingham station closed to passengers on 15th October 1956 and to goods on 11th November 1963. 1 After the final goods train departed, the once busy Station Yard soon became a local eyesore. 2 Things changed on 25th May 2001 when the Heritage Centre opened on the site of the old garage, home to five gritting vehicles. 3 The yard soon became a popular venue for activities including the Northumbrian pipers and the vintage motor rallies of Wesley Turnbull. 4 Heritage Centre volunteers worked hard to restore two railway carriages for the opening of the Carriages Tea Room on 17th March 2012.
1 January 2009
- Dorothy Bell MBE
Dorothy Bell awarded MBE for her services to the Heritage Centre
Winner of Outstanding Achievement by a Volunteer Run Museum Award (Renaissance North East)
9 November 2011
- Special Mention
Special mention in The Curlew Awards (Northumberland National Park)
17 March 2012
- Carriages Tea Room Opens
Opening of the Carriages Tea Room beside the platform of Bellingham station which had closed to passengers on 15th October 1956.
23 September 2014
- Death of our founder
Death of Dorothy Bell, founder of the Heritage Centre.
- Arts Council Award
Winner of Best Volunteer Run Museum Award (Arts Council North East)
- Visit England Award
Quality Rose Marque Award (Visit England)
10th October 2019
- 25th Anniversary
25th Anniversary luncheon with Guest Speaker John Grundy.
26th March 2020
- Covid-19 Pandemic
Due to re-open for the season on April 1st, the Centre is closed due to the Covid-19 Pandemic and government imposed restrictions on travel, isolation and self-distancing.